Yesterday my love and I celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary! For those that have read previous posts and know our story, you’ll remember that we’ve been in each other’s lives since early childhood. God blessed me with the gift of Doug’s friendship more than forty years ago. Our life together has been an adventure, for sure. Sometimes, the exciting fun type of adventure. Other times, the scary not-so-fun type of adventure. But put altogether, the journey has been worth every hill and valley!
In honor of our 31st anniversary, I want to share with you 31 ways to love your husband! (Many of these could also apply to husbands loving their wives.)
Okay…in no particular order…
- Pray for him…every single day!
- Listen when he talks! If your hubby is anything like mine, he isn’t always the very talkative sort. So when he talks, I soak it all in!
- Remember, you are his wife…not his mother. There have been lots of times I’ve struggled with this, but it always is better when I don’t try to smother…ummm I mean mother…him.
- Thinking about him when he isn’t around? Text him…call him…somehow let him know he’s on your mind!
- On that note…if he comes to mind at random times…pray for him again!
- Cook his favorite meal.
- Bake his favorite treat.
- Tell him you appreciate how he takes care of you. Be specific!
- Walking by him in the house? Touch him!
- Riding in the car together? Hold his hand!
- Ask him about his day and then really listen to his answer.
- Drop a sweet note in his work bag or lunchbox.
- Send a selfie with a fun flirty message!
- Suggest supper at his favorite restaurant.
- Try out some things he enjoys…hiking, hunting, golf…. You may find you enjoy them, too.
- Work on a project with him.
- Find a book to read together.
- Wear something you know he likes.
- Leave post-it notes with sweet messages for him to find in different places. (On his toothbrush, in his sock drawer, on his rear-view mirror)
- Laugh with him.
- Give him some down time to just relax on his own.
- Let him pick the movie.
- Brag about him! Tell others how amazing he is!
- Encourage his relationship with his parents.
- Encourage his relationship with your children and grandchildren.
- Say, “Thank you!”
- Say, “I’m sorry. Will you please forgive me?”
- Forgive quickly.
- Tell him, “I love you!” often.
- Take care of yourself.
- Pray for him! (Yes, I know it’s repeated. It’s important!)
Today, I’m overwhelmed with the gift of our love and marriage! On our anniversary and every other day of the year, I want to remember to treat that gift as the precious treasure it is!